Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What is Hot Housing?

There was a post on "Is this considered Hot Housing?" which I posted several weeks ago. One main response which I frequently got queried on was - So, can I hot house my child to become a genius attending university at an age several years ahead of his/her peers?
 
Well, I would like to make clear my own stand to this type of ‘hot housing’ approach. The cases we often read about in academic journals, popular books or internet blogs are the success stories. For all attempts that failed, we do not know exactly what happened, nor do we know what price – to parents and child – that failure had brought. I am certainly not criticising the great desire of parents to encourage the development of their child’s full potential. How could I when that is precisely my purpose in crafting my curricula for pre-schoolers and early primary school kids! Neither am I advocating any methods, approaches and procedures which are adopted. Different methods suit the needs of different children. My main concern of the ‘hot housing’ approach for this purpose is that it is unnecessary and cannot possibly work with every child. In many cases, the results might turn out to be exactly the opposite of what was initially intended.
 
Guru Kids Pro

No comments:

Post a Comment